The (in?)famous "American Dream"


When I think about the "American Dream", I think about the idea that America unlocks a plethora of new opportunities, the opportunities are unlimited, and that you can be whoever you want to be and do whatever you want to do as long as you work for it. Many people see America as a symbol of freedom, and I think the "American Dream" encapsules that: it's the freedom and the resources to achieve your wildest dreams. Or at least that was the narrative in the 1920s, where the US experienced widespread prosperity, economic growth, more freedom for women, and overall more social cultural expression. In this context, it makes sense that F. Scott Fitzgerald chose to center The Great Gatsby on the "American Dream" and the characters pursuit of this idea. For a lot of the characters in the novel, most apparent Daisy and Gatsby, their idea of the "American Dream" equates to wealth. Understandable, because wealth = opportunities and resources (As seen in the recent college admissions scandal, money can get you almost anywhere). 

When I think of wealth, I think of money. Lots of it. For me, having wealth and being wealthy mean being able to live very comfortably and not having to constantly worry about finances. Wealth means being able to afford luxuries that some people can't, ranging from materialistic luxuries like expensive cars, to certain priveleges like not needing a job to survive. Basically, my definiton of wealth means having freedoms that other people can't afford, wealth means that you aren't limited. Within The Great Gatsby, Gatsby frequently flexed his wealth through his lavish parties he threw throughout the summer. He could afford the probably millions of dollars these extravangant parties costed, parties which he pretty much cared nothing about. These parties only added to the shallowness that was the West and East Egg. Wealth was praised so highly, it became all anyone cared about, to the extent that Gatsby had to show off all his wealth just to impress the heart of Daisy. 

This attitude demonstrated in the novel resembles the attitudes that Americans have today towards wealth, as well as poverty. Wealth (regarding monetary wealth) is something that's praised, idealized, and strived for. Wealthy people are more apt to be seen in a positive light, and complementary, if you're impoverished you're looked down upon. In America, the wealthy are superior to the poor, wealth and respected and poverty is condemned. Though, unlike in The Great Gatsby, wealth is also seen by people in a negative light. Wealth is praised, but you can't flaunt it too much, and you have to stay humble, or else you're shallow and materialistic. Overall, the American view of wealth is both positive and negative. 

With my personal attitude towards wealth and poverty, though I hate to admit it, I find myself admiring the wealthy. Whenever I see an expensive car or house, I catch myself wondering what type of career they have, and how they got to the place where they are able to afford such expensive and luxurious things. Of course I rather be wealthy than in poverty, but I try to keep an objective view of people no matter what their socioeconomic status is. No matter how much money people have, people are people, and I try not to judge a person on whatever their life circumstances are. Everyone has different circumstances that played a part in their life outcome, and I try not to idealize someone wealthy because who knows how and where their wealth came to be. Similarly, I try not to judge someone in poverty because who knows what life obstacles were thrown at them to end up in their position. Just because someone's wealthy doesn't mean they're smart and hard-working, and just because someone's in poverty doesn't mean they're lazy. 

Comments

  1. Hey Adia, loved the post! I agree with your definition of the American dream and how it connects to the novel . I found your definition of wealth to be interesting since it got me thinking of how this definition could have been different in the 20's. The interesting part is that wealth being defined as essentially being able to do weather without worrying not only fit in 20's, but also fits universally throughout time. (That was a fun little though for this late at night). Also, kudos to you for being able to ignore peoples socioeconomic stature. There are a lot of people that are not able to do this which is unfortunate since your economic condition shouldn't define someone as a person

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey wife,
    Great post! (I am so sorry that this is my first time on your lovely blog!) You were spot on with your definitions of wealth and such.

    I agree with everything that you said. It's hard to admit it, but I too, often judge people based on their socioeconomic status. It's never intentional, and it even goes both ways. I think most commonly I will see someone or something and they will live in a big house or a nice car and they have a job that clearly doesn't pay well. I'll find myself wondering where the money came from. It's really a thin line. In the United States, we judge everyone. We judge people for being too poor or too rich. It's rather an interesting concept. So does money actually buy happiness? I always like to say, "it's better to cry in a brand new Porsche than a beat up Toyota." But maybe if we are looking at the American dream, if "mommy and daddy's money" gave you everything that you are... have you really achieved the American dream?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts